A Winter Maintenance Checklist For Your Home Appliances
December 23, 2022
Winter is a time for rest and coming indoors. This season helps us all slow down a little and gives us the opportunity to stay indoors and work on the list of chores we have been pushing off during the summer months.
Cleaning and maintaining your appliances are important year-round, but even more so in the winter. People often use their appliances more frequently in the winter months and electric bills are naturally higher with the added cost of heat, so it is important to make sure your appliances are at their best.
Here is our winter maintenance checklist to ensure your home appliances are up and running all winter long.
Preparation for Cold Weather
One of the biggest things to consider in preparation for winter is the low temperatures, especially if you live in an area that regularly gets well-below freezing. Here are the top things to check in your home.
- Check all your plumbing. Winter is the worst time to deal with plumbing issues. Go through your home and ensure you do not have any leaks in the plumbing throughout the house. If you live in an area where temperatures drop below freezing, it is important to make sure any pipes near your home’s exterior are properly insulated.
- Prepare garage refrigerators and/or freezers. If you have a refrigerator or freezer in a non-heated garage, you may need to consider emptying it out for the winter. Investing in a garage-ready freezer can help prevent issues in the winter months.
- Get your grill ready. If you do not plan to grill through the winter months, we suggest cleaning and storing your grill to protect it from the elements. A high-quality grill cover is essential. If you grill year-round, winter is still a suitable time to do a deep clean and get your grill ready for holiday cooking.
- Drain your water heater. Throughout the year, water heaters accumulate build up. Draining your water heater each winter will ensure it is ready to run efficiently for the season.
- Check your furnace. It is important to change your furnace filter every couple of months throughout the year, but we recommend checking it more frequently in the winter months. It is a good idea to carefully check over your entire furnace, clean your burners, and check for any dust, rust, or other issues.
- Check your washing machine’s plumbing. Be sure to check your washing machine’s plumbing and ensure it is insulated if need-be. This is also a great time to do a deep clean of your washer and dryer.
Preparing for Winter Meals
With the holidays and more time indoors, you are sure to use your kitchen more frequently. Get your kitchen ready for the higher demand it can expect this season with these tips.
- Clean your oven/range. Cleaning your oven or range is important to ensure it is running its best throughout the winter months. Take advantage of the self-clean feature if your oven has one, be sure to change or clean any hood filters, deep clean your oven’s interior, and dust any vents.
- Clean your dishwasher. Winter is the perfect time of year to do a deep clean of your dishwasher. Get detailed tips on cleaning your dishwasher here. We also suggest closely assessing your plumbing and cleaning your filters.
- Clean your refrigerator. You are sure to be stocking up on extra ingredients for holiday baking and cozy winter meals so make sure your refrigerator is up for the job. Empty out your refrigerator and clean the interior, remove dust from behind your fridge, and clean any vents completely.
Side note: This gingerbread cookie recipe is one of our favorite winter treats and we’re always ready for a bowl of Howard’s Signature Easy and Hearty Chili Recipe.
Consider Any Needed Appliance Upgrades
Electricity costs are naturally high in the winter months. Combat these increased costs by upgrading to energy-efficient home appliances if you do not already have them. Here are some of our top selections for energy-efficient home appliances to get you through the winter months for years to come.
- Make clean up easy this seasons with LG’s Top Control Smart Dishwasher with QuadWash™ and TrueSteam®. This dishwasher offers a sanitizing cycle and several settings to allow you to save on electricity and customize your wash cycles.
- Level up your cooking game this year with Jennair 36" RISE™ Gas Professional-Style Range. You will be making meals like the pros with this gas range.
- Create more space in your home with LG’s Single Unit Front Load LG WashTower™.
- Take a look at our refrigerator buying guide to decide which type of refrigerator works best in your kitchen and shop our selection of EnergySTAR rated refrigerators today.
Howard’s Appliance - Here for You in Any Season
Howard’s is Southern California’s largest and most trusted independent retailer of appliances, televisions, and mattresses. With our several appliance stores throughout the greater Los Angeles area, we are nearby and ready to help you.
Meet with one of our trained product experts to assist you with all your needs. Schedule an in-store visit or phone or video call today or browse our website to see what is available today.