How an Adjustable Base Can Improve Your Sleep
June 3, 2022
We have all seen the commercials or pictures of the adjustable bases and how they make it convenient to watch tv. We are shown a happy couple spending time together in bed before it is time to sleep. You might be left wondering though how exactly they work and why you might consider getting one. We have all the information you need.
What is an Adjustable Base?
An adjustable base is a bed frame that works similarly to a hospital bed in that you can adjust the incline of your head or feet. The incline is adjusted with the use of a remote, app, or buttons on the base itself.
Adjustable foundations work like a platform bed and do not require the use of a box spring. These are available for all mattress sizes.
Adjustable bed frames are not compatible with all mattress types, so you will need to ensure you have a type that is compatible before placing your mattress on an adjustable bed. Hybrid mattresses are generally compatible but innerspring mattresses generally do not work well with adjustable bases.
Benefits of An Adjustable Bed Foundation
Adjustable bed bases can have several sleep and health benefits.
- Decreased sleep apnea severity. Studies have shown that elevating the head of the bed can reduce the severity of sleep apnea without compromising sleep quality. An adjustable base can be a great alternative treatment for some people.
- Back pain relief. To follow the natural curvature of your spine, it is recommended people sleep with knees slightly raised and heads elevated. Adjusting your bed to your most comfortable sleeping position can have a huge impact on your sleep quality and reduce back pain over time.
- Reduce snoring. Lying flat on your back is one of the most common culprits of snoring. If you are a back sleeper and have been told you snore, you can place some of the blame on gravity. Your airway may be constricted and the odds of snoring are significantly raised. A slight elevation to your head often helps.
- Improved digestion and reduce acid reflux. Busy lifestyles can mean later mealtimes and late-night snacking. If you do not allow yourself enough time to digest your food before climbing into a traditional flatbed, you may find yourself suffering from heartburn or indigestion. Sleeping with your head elevated has been medically proven to prevent acid reflux when lying down.
- Choose your comfort. Select adjustable bases are split to allow each side of the bed to be adjusted separately. This will allow you to get a good night's sleep without having to compromise comfort for your sleeping partner.
Finding the Right Position for You
Ideal Positions for Side Sleepers
Side sleepers generally find their best sleep position when their head is elevated, and the foot of the bed is also slightly raised. However, we suggest raising your feet in small increments until you find the most comfortable position to sleep in.
Ideal Positions for Back Sleepers
Back sleepers that have a tendency to snore or have any sort of reflux issue find relief when the head of the bed is elevated. However, if there is a history of restless legs, inflammation, or uncomfortable sleep, then it is best to try elevating the lower portion of the bed.
Ideal Positions for Stomach Sleepers
Stomach sleeping leaves pressure on your spine and neck and can cause issues over time. Neck problems are a common issue for stomach sleepers. Generally, experts recommend that stomach sleepers work on transitioning to a safer sleeping position.
If you are a stomach sleeper, an adjustable base may help you transition more easily and find a position that you are comfortable in on your side or back.
Shop for an Adjustable Base at Howard's
Howard’s has been in business for over 75 years and is Southern California’s largest and most trusted appliance retailer. We offer free next-day delivery on purchases over $399 within qualified zip codes scheduled before 12 p.m. in the Southern California area.
To make things easier for our customers, we also offer online chat, phone consultations, and online ordering. Shop one of our 16 locations or browse our selection online at Howards.com.
Looking to Finance?
Extend your budget and apply today for special promotional financing. Howard’s can work with you to find flexible financing and you can receive 18 months of no interest. Learn more about our financing options online today or contact us for more details.