Howard’s Signature Easy and Hearty Chili Recipe
November 25, 2022
As the weather cools down, we are looking forward to spending a little more time indoors and warming up with all the delicious foods we know come along with fall and winter weather. At Howard’s, there is nothing we love more than a hearty chili dinner.
Here is our favorite recipe.
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- Olive Oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 green pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 packs of chili seasoning or homemade seasoning (see recipe below)
- 1 can of black beans (15 ounces)
- 1 can of pinto beans (15 ounces)
- 1 can of kidney beans (15 ounces)
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes (32 ounces)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 1 can of tomato paste (6 ounces)
This recipe can easily be made on a cooktop, in a pot or Dutch oven, or prepared in a slow cooker. Our recipe details steps to prepare your chili in a slow cooker. Feel free to adjust the recipe to simmer for approximately 30 minutes on a stovetop if preferred.
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Add olive oil to a pan and warm.
- Add the onion, garlic, and green pepper to the pan.
- Cook until the onion is transparent, and the aroma of the garlic and green pepper is strong.
- Add your ground beef evenly into the pan and cook until it is browned and cooked through.
- Drain the fat from ground beef without dumping the onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Add the beans, diced tomatoes, sauce, tomato paste, seasoning and beef mixture to your slow cooker.
- Mix everything together.
- Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours or on Low for 6 to 8 hours (stirring occasionally).
- Serve with your toppings of choice in a bowl!
Make It Your Own
Here at Howard’s, we each love to customize this recipe to make it our own. Whether your family likes a little more spice or prefers more vegetables, chili is the perfect recipe to adjust as you like.
Here are some tips to make this recipe your own.
- Swap out the ground beef in this recipe for chicken or another protein.
- Add a few splashes of soy sauce, wine, bourbon, or vinegar toward the end to add a deeper flavor to your chili.
- Make a vegetarian chili by skipping the meat, adding more veggies, and mixing in peanut butter for added protein.
- Mix in cheese, oyster crackers, hot sauce, or cornbread to your liking.
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp pepper
Kitchen Appliances You Need This Season
Make sure your kitchen is ready for all the warm meals that come with fall and winter. Whether you need to upgrade your cooktop or range, or you need a new slow cooker or microwave, Howard’s Appliance has you covered.
Stop into a Howard’s appliance location near you to have one of our experts help you find the perfect model to meet your needs. Browse online, give us a call, or visit any of our appliance stores throughout California to get more information.