The Best Way to Steam Your Clothes
January 6, 2023
Have you ever gone to pull out your favorite sweater or a nice jacket for a dinner date and it has smelled musty or is very wrinkled? There is not always time to get out the iron or put your clothes through a full wash cycle to remove the wrinkles and odor.
Steaming your clothes can help prevent this from happening and limit the number of times you need to wash your high-end clothes, helpings them last longer.
Why Steam Clothes?
Steaming your clothes can have several benefits. Not only does steaming reduce wrinkles, but it can also help eliminate bacteria and reduce odors.
Steaming is gentler on clothing than a full wash or dry clean cycle and can help remove smoke, food odors, and sweat from clothes just as easily.
The Best Way to Steam Your Clothes
There are a few options available that allow you to steam your clothes. You can purchase a handheld steamer, use a steam setting on your iron, or (our preferred method) is to use a steam system to make things easier and save time.
What is a Steam System?
A steam system is an appliance that is meant to complement your washer and dryer. This appliance has been around for some time but has only recently gained traction in the United States.
These steam closets or cabinets allow you to quickly refresh any piece of clothing in your wardrobe without having to do a full wash, which takes longer and wears fibers down more quickly. The steam pumped into the appliance can also kill odor-causing bacteria and allergens.
What types of material can be steamed?
There really is no limit to what materials can be steamed. Any article of clothing, bedding, coats, and even plush toys for your kids can be put into steam cabinets to refresh them.
Everything made from cottons, silks, wools, and polyesters are safe to be used in a steam closet. The only types of materials that should be avoided when steaming are waxed jackets, suede, and clothing that features materials that could melt.
What to Look for in a Steam System
If you are ready to invest in a steam system, here are some of the top features we recommend looking for before purchasing.
- Size. One of the most important things to look for in a steam system is capacity. Consider how many items you will need to steam at once and have an idea of how much space you will need before you start shopping.
- Wi-Fi Capability. We highly recommend shopping for a model with Wi-Fi capability. This will allow you to get maintenance notifications, troubleshoot issues, and keep your appliance running at its best.
- Sanitize Cycle. A steam closet with a sanitizing cycle will help you rest easy knowing that your clothes, or children’s stuffed animals, are free of bacteria and germs.
- Asthma and Allergy certifications. Many steam systems feature certifications from the British Allergy Foundation or the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. This means that these products are suited-well for the many Americans that have allergies.
- Voice command capability. Steam closets with Wi-Fi capability often have the option to integrate with Google Assistant or Alexa-enabled devices to allow you to easily get updates on your steam system from anywhere.
Our Top Choices of Steam Systems
If you are ready to add a steam closet to your walk-in closet or laundry room to make things easier, we have carefully chosen two of our favorite models just for you.
LG Styler with Mirror Finish
LG offers a wide selection of high-quality steam closets, but the LG Styler with a mirror finish is one of our favorites and works well in any space. Features we love include:
- The LG Styler is certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America and delivers high performance in reducing bacteria and fungi.
- ThinQ technology allows you to monitor your appliance’s health on-the-go.
- A TrueSteam Sanitizing cycle is ideal for sportswear, bedding, and clothes that are difficult to wash.
- With several internal compartments, this model has a shelf just for pants allowing you to keep your pants looking crisp.
Samsung AirDresser with Steam Refresh
Samsung’s AirDresser easily makes the top of our list. This steam closet is easy to install, just simply plug it in, and boast several features we know you will love.
- With the AirDresser’s built-in deodorizing filter, each cycle will eliminate 99% of odors caused by food, sweat, and smoke.
- Wi-Fi connectivity through the SmartThings app allows you to remotely control cycles and monitor your appliance’s health.
- The AirDresser includes a built-in Fresh Finish™ compartment that allows you to insert a dryer sheet into to reduce static and enhance your clothing’s scent.
- Self-cleaning features make it easier for you to keep your AirDresser running its best.
- A built-in weight kit allows you to restore your pant’s pleats and smooth wrinkles in less time.
Shop at Howard’s Appliance
If you are in the market for a steam system, stop into a Howard’s appliance location near you to have one of our experts help you find the perfect model to meet your needs. Browse online, give us a call, or visit any of our appliance stores throughout California to get more information.