How To Make The Perfect Pizza at Home
September 23, 2022
Everyone knows that pizza is a safe bet for any party. Whether you have a large family or regularly host gatherings, investing in a quality pizza oven and learning to make the perfect homemade pizza will be well worth it.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
The most essential part of creating the perfect homemade pizza is getting the crust right. If you are partial to a thin, crisp pizza crust, then this pizza crust recipe from Big Green Egg is perfect for your family.
It pairs perfectly with the Big Green Egg Flat Pizza & Baking Stone.
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Mix sugar, yeast, and warm water in a cup and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, yeast, and water mixture and stir until combined.
- Add olive oil and continue to blend well.
- Once all is blended, knead the mixture for approximately 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic in texture.
- Roll dough on a well-floured surface and form into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let sit for 90 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Lightly knead dough on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough ball into 4 equal-sized parts.
- Lightly dust roller with cornmeal and roll to form into discs to create four pizza crusts.
Pizza Toppings and Ideas
One of the things that makes pizza beloved by so many is its versatility. Pizza is a food that allows each person to create their own culinary work of art.
Whether you want to make a vegan pizza, savory meat-loaded pizza, or something a little more unique, homemade pizzas offer you the opportunity to get creative. Thankfully, if you have the crust made, the toppings are easy to pile to your liking.
Here is some inspiration for your next pizza night:
- Classic Recipes - Choose from your favorite classic toppings like sausage, pepperoni, or just cheese and pair with pizza sauce.
- BBQ Chicken Pizza - Use barbeque sauce and top with leftover barbeque grilled chicken or pork and cheese.
- Grilled Veggie Pizza - If you have recently grilled veggies, create a pizza with a pesto sauce and top with leftover grilled veggies and cheese.
- Hummus & Veggie Pizza - Swap sauce for hummus and top with broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, and other favorites.
- Butternut Squash & Caramelized Onion Pizza - Roast butternut squash and onions in olive oil and add to the pizza crust.
- Chicken Alfredo - Combine alfredo sauce with grilled chicken and mozzarella cheese.
The Best Pizza Ovens & Supplies
Once you have made your crust and loaded it with toppings, the last step is to cook your pizza to perfection. This is easily the most crucial step in making a pizza you will enjoy. Having the right equipment to get the job done is vital. We have detailed our top picks for baking the perfect pizza at home below.
GE Profile™ 30" Electric Pizza Oven
GE designed their Trattoria pizza oven specifically to being restaurant-quality pizza to homes through the classic GE ranges. This range combines the unique Trattoria pizza oven with a convection oven to allow you to cook baked foods to perfection right from your range.
Part of the unique appeal of GE’s Trattoria pizza oven is that it does not require a pizza stone. This pizza oven has a built-in rapid crisping plate made of durable aluminum alloy that quickly and precisely cooks pizzas to your ideal crispness.
Thor Kitchen Outdoor Kitchen Pizza Oven & Cabinet
Ready to bake wood fire pizza at home that your guests will rave about for years to come? Thor’s wood-burning pizza oven will add a unique smoky flavor to any pizza recipe you make. Not only does this unique wood-burning oven work great for pizza, but it bakes fish, skillet recipes, and more to perfection while adding a smokey taste.
This outdoor pizza oven comes equipped with a ceramic pizza stone, pizza cutter, pizza peel, server, and storage cabinet to keep everything organized.
Mont Alpi Portable Table Top Pizza Oven
If you’re ready to take your chef-style pizza on the go or limited on space, you’ll love the Mont Alpi Portable Table Top Pizza Oven. The Mont Alpi pizza oven is easy to transport and can be purchased with an additional carry bag to make transport even easier.
This pizza oven can get up to temperature in five minutes and will leave you with a perfectly cooked, crispy crust.
Pizza Grilling Supplies
With the right supplies, you can make an amazing homemade pizza at home. Here are some of our favorite pizza grilling accessories.
Shop for a New Pizza Oven at Howard’s
If you are ready to bring family movie night to the next level with a new pizza oven, stop into a Howard’s appliance store nearest you today. We have a wide selection of pizza ovens to help you make restaurant-quality pizza right at home.
We have 16 locations all over the California area including Alhambra-South Pasadena, Corona, Covina, Glendale, Huntington Beach Experience Center, Irvine, La Habra Experience Center, Laguna Hills Experience Center, Long Beach Experience Center, Outlet Store- Pico Rivera, Riverside, Torrance Experience Center, Victorville, West Los Angeles Experience Center, and West Valley-Canoga Park.