How To Pick the Right Appliances When Building a New Home
June 23, 2023
If you are in the process of building a new home, choosing the right appliances can feel like a big undertaking. There are several things that you will want to consider when selecting new appliances. Here is our advice on how to pick the right appliances when building a new home.
Make a List
Start by making a complete list of all the appliances you will need in your new home. This complete checklist of appliances needed in a new home may be helpful.
List out any appliances that you own that you may consider bringing with you and their sizes. This will help you decide which appliances you will need to purchase and create a complete shopping list when you are ready.
Things to Consider
The first thing to consider when shopping for new appliances is your budget. We suggest having a pre-set budget for each appliance. If it is easier, a total budget for all your appliances combined will work as well.
Shopping within a set budget can prevent overspending and allow you to narrow down your options more quickly.
Consider your kitchen’s layout and general aesthetic before shopping as well. If you are looking for a sleek and modern kitchen with seamless lines, you may want to consider panel-ready appliances.
Another important factor to consider will be the finish of the appliances that you're purchasing. If you would like all your appliances to match, we recommend purchasing all your appliances from one brand. This will ensure that the finishes match from one appliance to another.
If the building plans are already created, evaluate the space allotted for each appliance and write it down. This is easily the most important thing to consider. Having size limits written down will help you narrow down which appliances you have the option of choosing from.
Be sure to consider adequate space for opening oven and refrigerator doors.
Family-Size or Regular Guests
It is important to consider the size of your family and if you regularly host guests or large parties. These factors impact the ideal oven, refrigerator, laundry machines, and dishwasher sizes you will need.
If you have a large family, for example, a bigger refrigerator or large-capacity washing machine and dryer may be ideal. Investing in upgraded appliances will help make your chores easier and save you time overall.
If you are passionate about having an eco-friendly home, energy-efficient appliances will be at the top of your list. Shop for appliances that have Energy-Star ratings and compare energy guides between models to help you choose which are most efficient.
Learn more about energy-efficient appliances and tips on shopping here.
Features You Want
Moving into a new home is the perfect opportunity to get the appliances you have always dreamed of.
Whether you've always dreamed of having a washer with auto-dispensing detergent features, a smart refrigerator, or a completely integrated home, now is the time to make it happen. Make a list of dream features you always wished you could have.
Getting a good idea of what you would ideally like to have can help you decide if appliances with these features are in your budget.
Once you have considered each of the factors above, decide if any of the appliances you already own will be coming with you into your new home. Then, make your shopping list.
To make your shopping experience easier, we suggest the following.
- Browse online first. Shopping online first can help you easily filter appliances by size and unique features that you are looking for. This can help you make a wish list when you are ready to purchase.
- Purchase in-store. We highly recommend purchasing your appliances from a reputable appliance store. Working with an expert can help you save money in the long run and consider factors that you may not have otherwise. Bring your wish list, budget, and any details with you to the store to make the process easier.
- Consider warranties. When purchasing new appliances, be sure to look for manufacturer and retailer warranties and consider purchasing extended warranties when they make sense.
- Look at financing options. Howard’s Appliance offers flexible financing options for your appliance purchase. Learn more today.
- Get professional delivery and installation. Your new home is a big investment, protect it with professional delivery and installation. Professional delivery removes the risk of damaging your new appliances on transport. Installing appliances incorrectly can risk water damage or worse to your new home. We highly recommend investing in professional installation for any new appliances.
Shop at Howard’s Appliance in Southern California
If you are in the Southern California area, Howard’s Appliance has several conveniently located appliance stores for you to shop for your new home. With locations in Huntington Beach, Murrieta, Long Beach, Victorville, and the greater Los Angeles area, we are nearby and ready to help you select the right appliance for your home.
If you are still deciding which models you’d like to purchase, we highly recommend visiting a Howard’s Appliance Experience Center. Our experience centers are designed to let you test out appliances in a home-like setting.
We offer a friction-free shopping experience with as much or as little sales interaction as you desire. Friendly, knowledgeable, and tech-savvy product experts are available to not just answer questions but also match you with the right products to meet your needs.