Saving Water with a New Dishwasher
February 10, 2023
Whether you are in the market for a new, more efficient dishwasher or looking to upgrade from handwashing, a new dishwasher can save a significant amount of water each month. Here are the facts, tips on what to look for in a new dishwasher, and tips to run your dishwasher more efficiently.
How Much Water Can You Save with a New Dishwasher?
Compared to Handwashing
Did you that washing your dishes in a dishwasher uses much less energy and water than handwashing? According to Energy.Gov, washing dishes in a dishwasher can save up to 8,000 gallons per year compared to hand washing.
Upgrading to a New Model
Not surprisingly, new dishwasher models are much for efficient than older dishwasher models as well.
A study by HomeWorks Energy found that new EnergyStar dishwashers average 3.2 gallons of water per cycle and cost anywhere from $4 to $14 a month to run. Comparatively, dishwasher models built in the early 2000s averaged 5 gallons of water per cycle and cost about $17 a month to run.
If you own an older dishwasher, you could save almost 2 gallons of water per cycle by upgrading. More efficient energy and water usage like this will pay for itself over the course of the lifespan of your dishwasher.
What To Look For In A Dishwasher
If you’re ready to purchase a new dishwasher, here are some features to look for to ensure you are purchasing an energy-efficient model that will help you save water.
- EnergyStar Rating. EnergyStar-rated dishwashers meet a higher level of efficiency than standard models and are a better choice for reducing your water usage.
- Quick wash option. Quick wash cycles are ideal for dishes that do not require a heavy-duty clean and can save on water and energy.
- Large capacity. Washing more dishes at once will allow you to run fewer cycles and save on water over time.
- Eco-modes or autosensing settings. Many dishwashers offer either an Eco-Mode or have sensors built into them that sense how dirty your dishes are and automatically adjust to conserve water without sacrificing results.
Buying a New Dishwasher
Along with purchasing an upgraded, more efficient dishwasher, there are things you can do on a regular basis to help your dishwasher run more efficiently and conserve water. Try these tips when you are able.
- Only run full loads.
- Run a quick wash cycle for lightly soiled dishes.
- Keep up on maintenance and clean your filters and the inside of your dishwasher regularly.
- Scrape food off your plates and bowls rather than pre-rinsing.
- Load your dishwasher properly and leave room for water to get to all of the dishes so you do not need to rewash dishes.
- Air-dry your dishes.
Efficient Dishwasher Models We Love
Samsung Smart Linear Wash
We love the Samsung Smart Linear Wash 39dBA Dishwasher. This dishwasher offers four different finishes allowing it to easily integrate in most kitchens.
Not only does this dishwasher look great it also offers these great features that include:
- Linear Wash System. AquaBlast™ jets give you a corner-to-corner superior cleaning.
- Whisper Quiet Cleaning. With a nearly silent 39 dBA performance you will never be disturbed.
- AutoRelease™ Door. This door can automatically open allowing you to easily air dry your dishes in less time.
- Flexible 3rd Rack. This additional rack gives you more space for oversized utensils.
- Zone Booster™. This feature offers more water to stream to quickly clean pots and pans.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity. Monitor your dishwasher remotely from your smartphone and keep up with maintenance as needed.
Whirlpool Heavy-Duty Dishwasher
This Whirlpool Heavy-Duty Dishwasher with a 1-Hour Wash Cycle is another one of our top recommendations. You can get this washer in biscuit, black, white, or stainless steel.
This model also offers several amazing features including:
- 1-Hour Wash Cycle. Quickly wash your dishes with this one-hour wash cycle.
- Soil Sensor. With a built-in soil sensor, this dishwasher will automatically stop spraying water when it senses that your dishes are clean saving you time and energy.
- High-Temperature Wash Options. High-temperature wash options are available when needed.
LG Top Control Smart Dishwasher with QuadWash™ & TrueSteam®
The LG Top Control Dishwasher with QuadWash™ and TrueSteam® is a smart dishwasher with amazing features that help limit water usage without compromising results. This amazing dishwasher comes in PrintProof™ Stainless Steel.
This LG dishwasher offers the following features to make your life easier and improve your results:
- Height-Adjustable Third Rack. Fit more dishes in each load with this third rack.
- EasyRack™ System. Quickly adjust the top rack to fit larger pots, pans, platters, and serving dishes as needed so you can cut down on the number of cycles you need to run or extra dishes that need to be hand-washed.
- QuadWash™. This feature gives maximum cleaning coverage with four sprayers and multi-motion action with high-pressure jets to reach every nook and cranny.
- DirectDrive Motor. With a DirectDrive motor there are fewer moving parts which helps to reduce energy and water consumption.
Shop for Energy Efficient Appliances at Howard’s
Are you ready to make the move to a more efficient home? Howard’s offers a wide selection of efficient refrigerators, ovens, washing machines, and more at our locations in Southern California.
Visit a Howard’s appliance location near you to have one of our experts help you find the perfect appliances to meet your needs. Browse online, give us a call, or visit any of our appliance stores throughout Southern California, with locations in Huntington Beach, Long Beach, West Los Angeles, and more.