The Best TVs for Outdoor and Patio Use
September 29, 2023
Outdoor entertainment has become increasingly popular in recent years, with more and more people looking to extend their living spaces into the outdoors.
One essential component of a great outdoor entertainment setup is a high-quality TV designed specifically for outdoor and patio use. Whether you want to watch your favorite sports games, host movie nights under the stars, or simply enjoy some downtime in your backyard, having the right TV can make all the difference.
In this blog, we have detailed the benefits of outdoor televisions, features to consider in your selection, and the best models in today's market.
The Benefits of Outdoor TVs
Investing in an outdoor TV for your patio or backyard living space can be a game changer. With an outdoor TV, you can create a comfortable and inviting space for your friends and family to gather and enjoy movies, sports events, or other entertainment options.
When you entertain outdoors, you can accommodate more guests than you would indoors. This allows you to host larger parties and make the most of your outdoor living space.
There is something special about watching TV while enjoying the fresh air and beauty of nature. With an outdoor TV, you can create a relaxing and immersive entertainment experience in your backyard or patio. Whether you want to unwind after a long day or simply enjoy some leisure time outdoors, an outdoor TV allows you to do so without compromising on entertainment quality.
Factors to Consider
Before diving into our top picks, it is important to understand the key factors to consider when choosing an outdoor and patio TV. These factors will help you make an informed decision and ensure that you select a TV that meets your specific needs and preferences.
Outdoor TVs need to be able to withstand various weather conditions, including rain, snow, extreme temperatures, and even direct sunlight. Look for TVs that include features such as weatherproofing, rust resistance, and sturdy construction.
In addition to durability, weather resistance is another crucial factor to consider. Look for TVs that have an IP rating, which indicates their level of protection against dust and water. The higher the IP rating, the better the TV will be able to withstand outdoor elements. It is also important to consider the TV's ability to handle direct sunlight, as glare can significantly impact the viewing experience.
Some outdoor TVs also boast additional features to enhance their weather resistance, such as a protective screen cover or a built-in heating system to prevent damage from cold temperatures. These features can provide extra peace of mind, especially if you live in a region with harsh weather conditions.
Picture quality is a top priority when it comes to choosing any TV, and outdoor and patio TVs are no exception. Look for TVs that offer high resolution, vibrant colors, and wide viewing angles. This will ensure that you can enjoy a clear and immersive viewing experience, even when watching from different angles or in bright outdoor lighting conditions.
Also, consider the TV's brightness and contrast ratio. Outdoor TVs must have a high brightness level to combat glare and ensure a clear picture in bright sunlight. Similarly, a high contrast ratio will ensure that the TV can display deep blacks and bright whites, providing a more realistic and detailed image.
When choosing an outdoor TV, screen size is one of the important factors to consider. Screen size plays a crucial role in determining your viewing experience. A larger screen size allows for a more immersive and enjoyable outdoor entertainment experience, especially when you have a big outdoor space.
Before you start shopping, consider how big your patio or outdoor space is and how far away most viewers will be from the TV.
Connectivity options are another important factor to consider. A range of connectivity options allows you to easily connect your favorite devices to the outdoor TV.
Many outdoor TVs come with smart features that allow you to connect and control them using your smartphone or voice assistants like Alexa or Google Assistant and stream movies and shows from a variety of sources.
Some outdoor TVs offer audio output options that allow you to connect external speakers or sound systems. This is especially beneficial if you want to create a more immersive audio experience in your outdoor space.
Top Picks for Outdoor and Patio TVs
Now that we have a clear understanding of the key factors to consider, let us explore our top picks for outdoor and patio TVs. These TVs have been carefully selected based on their durability, weather resistance, picture quality, and overall performance. We have also considered customer reviews and ratings to ensure that these TVs live up to their claims.
Samsung Terrace Outdoor TVs
- Durable. One of the standout features of Samsung Terrace Outdoor TVs is their durability. They are built to withstand various weather conditions, including rain, dust, and extreme temperatures. With an IP55 rating for water and dust resistance, you can have peace of mind knowing that your TV is protected against the elements.
- Unmatched picture quality. In terms of picture quality, Samsung Terrace Outdoor TVs deliver stunning visuals. They are equipped with QLED technology, which produces vibrant colors and sharp details. This allows for an immersive viewing experience, whether you are watching a movie or enjoying a sports event outdoors.
- Adjustable brightness. Another notable feature of Samsung Terrace Outdoor TVs is their adjustable brightness. They come with an anti-glare screen, which ensures optimal visibility even in bright sunlight. This means you can enjoy your favorite content without any distractions or loss of picture quality.
- Wide range of connectivity options. Samsung Terrace Outdoor TVs also offer convenient connectivity options. They come with a built-in Wi-Fi module, allowing you to easily connect to your home network and access various streaming services. Additionally, these TVs support Bluetooth connectivity, enabling you to connect wireless speakers or headphones for an enhanced audio experience.
- Flexible mounting options. Furthermore, Samsung Terrace Outdoor TVs are compatible with various mounting options. They can be installed on a wall or placed on a stand, depending on your preference and the layout of your outdoor space.
At Howard's Appliance, we have seen countless households purchase Samsung Terrace TV models and remain happy with their purchases for years to come. The top models we recommend include:
Installation & Maintenance Tips
Here are some installation and maintenance tips for outdoor TVs:
- Choose the right location. When installing an outdoor TV, make sure to choose a location that provides good visibility and is protected from direct sunlight or in a shaded area. It is also important to consider factors such as the proximity to power outlets and the availability of a secure mounting surface.
- Use a weatherproof enclosure. Outdoor TVs are designed to withstand various weather conditions, but it is still a good idea to use a weatherproof enclosure to provide extra protection. This will help to shield the TV from rain, dust, and other elements.
- Properly secure the TV. To ensure the safety of your outdoor TV, it is crucial to properly secure it to the mounting surface. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and use the appropriate mounting brackets and hardware.
- Clean the TV regularly. Outdoor TVs are exposed to more dust and dirt compared to indoor TVs. Regularly clean the TV screen and the enclosure to maintain optimal picture quality. Use a soft, non-abrasive cloth and mild cleaning solution to avoid scratching the screen.
- Protect from extreme temperatures. Extreme heat or cold can affect the performance and lifespan of an outdoor TV. If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, consider providing additional protection by using a cooling system or a heating element, depending on the climate.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I use an Indoor TV for an outdoor patio?
Using an indoor TV for an outdoor patio is not recommended. Indoor TVs are designed to be used in controlled environments with stable temperatures and low humidity. Outdoor environments expose TVs to extreme temperatures, moisture, and sunlight, which can damage the internal components of an indoor TV.
What happens if you use an indoor TV outdoors?
Using an indoor TV for outdoor purposes can lead to several issues. Some potential problems that can arise include:
- Weather damage: Outdoor TVs are specifically designed to be weatherproof and can withstand exposure to rain, humidity, and extreme temperatures. Indoor TVs, on the other hand, are not built to withstand these conditions. Exposure to moisture or extreme temperatures can damage the internal components of an indoor TV, leading to malfunction or permanent damage.
- Sunlight glare: Indoor TVs are not equipped with anti-glare screens or high brightness levels that are necessary for outdoor viewing. This means that using an indoor TV outside can result in poor visibility due to the glare from sunlight.
- Limited viewing angles: Outdoor TVs are designed to provide wide viewing angles, allowing everyone to comfortably watch the screen from various positions. Indoor TVs, however, typically have more limited viewing angles, which can result in poor visibility and distorted colors when viewed from the sides.
- Voided warranty: Most manufacturers' warranties for indoor TVs do not cover outdoor use. Therefore, using an indoor TV outdoors can void the warranty, leaving you responsible for any repairs or replacements that may be needed.
Can a TV stand be used in outdoor spaces?
Using a TV stand in outdoor spaces is possible. However, a TV stand designed for indoor use may not be suitable for outdoor spaces due to exposure to weather elements such as rain, sunlight, and extreme temperatures.
If you are planning to use a TV stand outdoors, it is recommended to choose a stand that is specifically designed for outdoor use. Outdoor TV stands are typically made from weather-resistant materials such as stainless steel or aluminum, which can withstand the elements and provide stability and durability for your TV.
How do people reduce the glare on an outside TV?
To reduce glare on an outdoor TV, you can try the following tips:
- Positioning. Place the outdoor TV in a location where it is not directly facing the sun. This will help minimize the amount of glare on the screen.
- Shade. Create shade around the outdoor TV using umbrellas, awnings, or pergolas. This will help block out the direct sunlight and reduce glare.
- Anti-glare screen protector. Consider using an anti-glare screen protector specifically designed for outdoor TVs. These protectors can help reduce reflection and glare on the screen, improving visibility.
- Tilting or angling. Adjust the angle of the outdoor TV to minimize glare. Tilting or angling the TV downward can help reduce the amount of light that reflects off the screen.
- Brightness and contrast settings. Adjust the brightness and contrast settings on the outdoor TV to optimize visibility. Increasing the brightness slightly can help counteract glare and improve screen visibility.
Shop at Howard’s Appliance
Ready to purchase a new outdoor TV or appliances for your home? Howard’s Appliance has been in business for over 75 years and has several conveniently located appliance stores throughout Southern California.
Visit one of our locations in Huntington Beach, La Habra, Victorville, Laguna Hills, Long Beach, or the surrounding area today. Schedule an in-store visit or phone or video call today or browse our website to see our selection of high-quality appliances.