When Is It Time To Buy a New Television?
March 3, 2023
Purchasing a new TV can be a fun experience but one that you likely do not experience often. Most TVs last between 4 and 10 years and since they’re a big investment, most people don’t upgrade until they’re having an issue or see a really great deal.
There’s nothing worse than scrambling to purchase a new TV in a rush before gameday because you’re old one stopped working though. It can be good to plan ahead, consider your options, and look for signs that you may need to invest in a new television sooner than later.
Here are some of the signs that it may be time to purchase a new television for your home or patio.
Signs It Is Time for a New TV
If your TV is more than 6 years old, whether it is still working or not, consider getting a new one. Older technology is often not compatible with the newer technology coming out today. This could cause connectivity issues with devices and even issues when streaming shows and movies.
Screen resolution and image quality have improved drastically over the past several years. Older televisions may not allow you to take advantage of shows and movies that are available in HD or 4K quality.
Poor Image Quality
Poor image quality or flaws on your TV screen are easy to notice. This can include things such as:
- Lines in the screen.
- Distorted colors.
- Dark patches.
- Burnt-in images.
Generally, issues like this will continually worsen over time. We suggest starting to look for a new television if you see issues like this with your current model.
You may have experienced extremely long booting times when turning the TV on or had some times when your TV just didn’t respond at all. If you have issues like these with increasing frequency, it is likely time to upgrade before the issues get worse.
High Electric Bills
Older, less energy-efficient televisions likely use a high amount of electricity and may be contributing to your electric bill more than you realize. Investing in a new, energy-efficient model can be a good idea.
Advice from the Experts at Howard’s
At Howard’s, we have decades of experience helping our customers find the perfect TV for their home or outdoor space. We suggest reading our TV buying guide for in-depth tips on finding the perfect television to meet your needs and features to look for. Here are a few quick tips.
Features to Shop For
When shopping for a new TV there are tons of features available that can make a huge difference in your viewing experience. Here is a list of all the things you should consider to get the most out of it:
- Smart TV - A TV that does not need a streaming device to be used with the internet and gain access to all of your streaming services and more.
- Voice Commands - The ability to talk to your TV so you do not always need the remote.
- 4K or 8K - 4K is more readily available these days and offers an amazing picture, though 8K TVs are well worth the investment as well.
- Speaker Quality - If you are not looking to spring for a soundbar or a surround sound system, you should make sure the TV you purchase has high-quality sound.
Our Favorite Televisions
Though we sell countless televisions from all of the leading brands, we have hand-picked a few of our favorite televisions available today. Here are our top suggestions.
Samsung 55” Class - The Terrace
The Terrace TV from Samsung is a partial sun outdoor QLED 4K Smart TV. This outdoor TV offers a bright and brilliant screen that allows you to enjoy all of the fine details of your entertainment. It also comes with an IP55 rating to assure protection from water and dust.
More features that we love about this television include:
- Voice control features are ideal for outdoor locations and remove the need to store a remote on the patio.
- Quantum Dot Technology brings more than a billion colors to life on the screen.
- Direct Full Array 16X gives the lighting zones in the TV more precision and depth.
- 4K AI Upscaling provides high-quality resolution no matter what you are watching.
- Quantum HDR ensures brilliant viewing with an intuitive display that can optimize the picture based on surrounding light conditions.
Samsung 85” Class & 75” Class QLED 4K Smart TVs
This Samsung TV is an 85” QLED 4K Smart TV. If you are looking for a TV packed full of amazing features, then this is the one for you. It is also a great choice for gamers.
Action-packed features you didn’t know you needed include:
- 4K AI Upscaling allows you to watch anything in 4K resolution.
- 4K 120HZ provides smooth fluid motion from 120 frames per second viewing which is perfect for Next-Gen gaming consoles or PCs.
- Voice control allows you to use the built-in Bixby, Alexa, or Google Assistant to control your TV with your voice.
- Super Ultrawide Game View allows you to change your aspect ratio from 21:9 to 32:9 to see more of your scene which is perfect for gaming.
- 3D surround sound audio that tracks the motion in each scene to immerse you into the action.
- Workstation features allow you to access anything on your PC, laptop, or mobile device.
Samsung also offers a television similar to this in a 75” model that we highly recommend for those looking for all of these amazing features in a smaller-sized TV. Take a look at the Samsung 75” QLED 4K Smart TV today.
Upgrade Your Entertainment Space with Howard’s
If you are looking for a new television, Howard’s is the place for you to find the perfect one for your home. Upgrade your entire entertainment space with our high-quality living room and outdoor furniture, sound systems, and more.
With locations throughout Southern California, including Long Beach, La Habra, and Victorville, we are nearby and here to help when you are ready.