Howard's was founded in 1946 when Howard Roach began repairing radios in the back of a sporting goods store in San Gabriel, California. Due to Howard's focus on customer satisfaction, the business has grown over the past 74 years to become Southern California's largest and most trusted independent retailer of appliances, TVs, and mattresses. With 14 locations, our goal is to provide our customers with the highest level of service, the best product selection, and the best deals around!
Howard's is proud to be 100% Employee Owned which means all employees enjoy the benefits of belonging to an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)*.
Howard's is an employee-owned company whose team is committed to excellence. Howard's is continually looking for exceptional employees in the areas listed below who can contribute to the success of our company:
Job: Accounting Associate
Store: Corporate, La Habra CA
Reports to: Controller
Department: 001300-Corporate Office. -Gen.Office
Job Family: Finance
Supervisory Role: N/A
- Processes high volume AP invoices & disbursements.
- Resolves outstanding payments through communication with departments, vendors, and others
- Maintains accounting department files and records
- Enters information into accounting data entry system
- Verifies and prepares disbursement checks for mailing
- Research problem with AP bills and AR invoices; interfaces with vendors, customer service team, and other appropriate staff to reconcile
- Assists with month-end close and runs monthly reports as required
- Prepares and posts deposits, balances deposits on bank statements
- Logs, posts, and balances petty cash
- Processes online payments
- Reconciles invoices or other payments
- Must always attend to the best interests of the Company
- Continue to educate oneself in the appliance industry
- Performs general clerical duties including but not limited to filing, photocopying, faxing, typing, and mailing
- Assists and supports internal departmental audits
- Assists with preparation of 1099s
- Assists with special accounting projects as needed
- Support process improvements
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management
- Exhibits professionalism when interacting with internal and external customers
- Compile generate report/summaries per Supervisor’s discretion
- Contacts individuals with delinquent accounts
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
- Requires sitting for a long period of time
- Repetitive usage of keyboard, mouse and other office desk equipment.
- Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Flexible in working overtime if needed
- Ability to sustain a good attendance track record.
- Associate’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or business administration or experience equivalent
- Aptitude for numbers
- Ability to exhibit patience and professionalism when interacting with internal and external customers
- At least two years of related experience or equivalent
- Basic competence in subordinates’ duties and tasks
- Ability to work with all levels of management.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word Doc
- Ability to prepare reports and business correspondence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Candidates with experience in a fast-paced environment are highly desirable
The above responsibilities are not all encompassing and may be modified as needed.
Howard's Appliances, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, gender, religious creed, religious dress and grooming practices, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, gender identification, and gender expression or any other consideration or characteristic made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.Apply Now Return to Careers
More about ESOP
The value of the ESOP is dependent on the success and profitability of the company, so the value of ESOP shares can fluctuate over time. Generally, a 7% growth is average, but if the company does especially well, there can be incredible share value increases year to year. Over time, ESOP allocations can add up to large numbers. Plus, unlike a 401(k), employees do not contribute any of their own money towards their ESOP, so anything they receive is extra and at no cost to them. With the uncertainties over social security and the ability to save for retirement, ESOP can be a powerful retirement plan to be a part of.
Employees tend to work harder when they've got some "skin in the game." Being able to directly benefit from the overall success and profitability of the company adds significant financial motivation to work harder, think creatively, and work efficiently as a team. This synergy creates a far more rewarding work environment.
Team. Everyone. Achieves. More.
Belonging to an ESOP is a Rare Benefit.
There is no such thing as a perfect job or a perfect company, and you'll likely experience ups and downs no matter where you work. An ESOP is an amazing benefit that is incredibly rare to come by, as there are only approximately 10,000 ESOPs in the Nation.
We are proud to offer a competitive wages and outstanding benefits!
Health, dental, vision, life
ESOP - Employee Stock Ownership Plan*
Paid time off (vacation/sick/holidays)
If this sounds like the job opportunity you've been looking for, and if you meet our qualifications, Howard's wants to talk with you right away!
Howard's is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified applicants are welcome to apply for employment in person, via email, or via US Mail. Please stop by any Howard's location, email application to Human Resources at HumanResources@howards.com.
You may mail your application to:
Howard's Appliances, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources
901 E. Imperial Hwy.
La Habra, CA 90631