5 Ways to Use Your Appliances to Make Thanksgiving Easy
November 09, 2023
Are you ready to make this Thanksgiving a breeze? Look no further!
In this blog post, we will unveil 5 incredible ways to unlock the true potential of your appliances and make your Thanksgiving preparations a breeze. From cooking hacks to appliance preparation tips specifically for Thanksgiving, we have you covered. Let's dive in and discover how to make the most out of your appliances this Thanksgiving season.
Your Oven: A Turkey's Best Friend
Ovens play a crucial role in making Thanksgiving Day a success. They are essential for cooking the centerpiece of the meal - the turkey. Investing in the right oven and a little preparation can make all the difference for an easy and stress-free Thanksgiving dinner. Here are some tips for Thanksgiving Day to make your cooking process easier:
- Invest in a convection oven: Convection ovens are perfect for cooking a Thanksgiving turkey as they use a fan to circulate hot air, resulting in even cooking and crispy skin. The fan helps distribute heat more evenly, ensuring that the turkey cooks uniformly. This feature is especially beneficial for larger turkeys, as it reduces cooking time and ensures that the bird is cooked thoroughly.
- Use multiple racks: By utilizing different racks in your oven, you can optimize oven space and cook multiple dishes simultaneously, making the cooking process more efficient. This way, you can cook your turkey on one rack and other side dishes on the remaining racks, saving time and energy.
- Clean your oven ahead of time: We highly recommend cleaning your oven at least a few days before Thanksgiving. This will help prevent unpleasant odors, remove any built-up bacteria, and improve your oven's cooking performance.
- Preheat your oven or look for no-preheat options: Select ovens and ranges have no-preheat features that can save you time on Thanksgiving day. If your model doesn't have this feature, be sure to preheat your oven before placing any dishes inside. Preheating ensures that the oven reaches the desired temperature and helps with even cooking.
- Use a meat thermometer: To ensure that your turkey is cooked to perfection, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
Refrigerator: Space and Organization
Next to your oven, the refrigerator is easily the next most important appliance for Thanksgiving. With some preparation and planning, you can utilize your refrigerator's full potential to make Thanksgiving easier.
Organizing your refrigerator before hosting Thanksgiving is crucial for several reasons. Organizing your fridge allows you to have a clear idea of what ingredients you have, making it easier to plan your meal. It can also create more room for leftovers and storing prepared food.
Here are some tips to organize your refrigerator effectively and make more space.
- Use adjustable shelves: Most refrigerators come with adjustable shelves that can be moved up or down to accommodate different sizes of food containers. Take advantage of this feature by rearranging the shelves to create more space for taller items, such as bottles or leftover dishes.
- Utilize door storage: The doors of refrigerators often have built-in shelves that can be used to store condiments, small jars, and even eggs. Make sure to use this space wisely by arranging items neatly.
- Use clear storage containers: Opt for clear plastic containers or food storage bags to store leftovers and ingredients. This not only helps you see what is inside without opening the containers but also allows you to stack them more efficiently, saving space.
- Keep frequently used items within reach: Arrange your refrigerator in a way that frequently used items are easily accessible. This will save you time and effort when preparing meals and reduce the chances of knocking over other items while searching for what you need.
Now that you have made space in your refrigerator, you will have plenty of room for leftovers. To store leftovers properly and reduce waste after Thanksgiving, here are a few suggestions:
- Use airtight containers: Transfer leftover food into airtight containers to keep them fresh for longer. This will prevent them from spoiling and help maintain their flavor.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer: Depending on how soon you plan to consume the leftovers, you can store them in either the refrigerator or freezer. Leftovers can typically be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, while they can last for several months in the freezer.
- Divide leftovers into smaller portions: If you have a large amount of leftovers, consider dividing them into smaller portions before storing them. This will make it easier to reheat and consume only what you need at a time, reducing the chances of food waste.
- Use clear containers: Using clear containers will allow you to see more easily what is in each container and find things more easily.
- Be sure you have lids: Before dishing your leftovers into containers, be sure it has a lid. Ensuring that each container has a sturdy lid will allow you to stack your leftovers more easily.
Microwave: Quick Warm-Ups and Defrosting
Microwaves are great for warming up leftovers after Thanksgiving and in many cases, more efficient than warming food in an oven or on the cooktop. Here are a few reasons why:
- Speed: Microwaves use electromagnetic waves to heat food from the inside out. This allows them to warm up food much faster than traditional stovetop methods.
- Energy efficiency: Microwaves use less energy than cooktops, making them a more energy-efficient option for reheating leftovers like gravy and sauces. They work by directly heating the food, whereas most cooktops require heating the entire pot or pan, resulting in energy wastage.
- No need for additional cookware: When using a microwave, you can directly heat the leftovers in the same container they were stored in. This eliminates the need for extra pots or pans, saving you time on dishwashing.
In addition to warming up leftovers, microwaves are also useful for defrosting ingredients quickly. They have specific defrosting settings that allow you to thaw frozen foods in a fraction of the time it would take on a cooktop or in the refrigerator.
Overall, microwaves are a convenient and time-saving option for warming up Thanksgiving leftovers.
Tips to Efficiently Reheat Your Leftovers
Here are a few tips to efficiently reheat leftover Thanksgiving food in the microwave.
- Use microwave-safe containers: Store your leftovers in smaller portions in microwave-safe containers. This will make it quick and easy to reheat food without using extra dishes.
- Cover the food: To prevent splatters and ensure even heating, cover the food with a microwave-safe lid. This also helps to retain moisture and prevent the food from drying out.
- Stir or rotate: If you are reheating a large portion of food, it is a good idea to stir or rotate it halfway through the heating process. This helps to distribute the heat evenly and ensure that all parts of the food are reheated properly.
Dishwasher: Cleanup Made Effortless
Dishwashers can be a significant help when it comes to post-Thanksgiving cleanup. Here are a few ways in which dishwashers can make the process effortless:
- Efficient Cleaning: Dishwashers are designed to effectively clean dishes, cookware, and serving dishes. Their efficiency makes it easy to remove baked-on food from cookware saving you time scrubbing dishes after mealtime.
- Timesaving: Instead of spending hours scrubbing and washing dishes by hand, you can simply load them into the dishwasher and let it do the work. This saves you valuable time that you can spend with your family and friends.
- Large Capacity: We highly recommend investing in a dishwasher that has a large capacity. This means you can clean a large number of dishes in a single cycle, reducing the time and effort required for cleanup.
- Energy and Water Efficiency: Modern dishwashers are designed to be energy and water efficient. They use less water and energy compared to hand washing, making them more environmentally friendly.
To make the most of your dishwasher during the post-Thanksgiving cleanup, make sure to load it efficiently. Place larger items on the bottom rack and smaller items on the top rack. Avoid overcrowding the dishwasher to ensure that water can circulate properly, and everything gets cleaned thoroughly.
Howard's Appliance Pro Tip: Ask your guests to place their dinnerware directly in the dishwasher after they are done eating. This will save you cleanup time and many guests will be happy to help.
Televisions: Entertainment for All Ages
Televisions play a significant role in keeping guests entertained during Thanksgiving. Whether you play background music, sit down together to watch a movie, turn on a cartoon to keep the kids entertained, or tune into a live holiday event, your TV plays a key role.
Movies often work well for gatherings with children and can be the start of a great tradition. Family-friendly movies like A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, Miracle on 34th Street, or Planes, Trains & Automobiles are popular options. These movies can capture the spirit of Thanksgiving, bring laughter, and create a festive mood.
Thanksgiving is often associated with football games and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Tuning into these live events can be a great way to engage sports enthusiasts and create a lively atmosphere.
Your TV can also be used to play interactive games like trivia or quiz shows that involve the participation of all guests. This can be a fun and engaging activity that brings everyone together and creates a sense of camaraderie.
Investing in a high-quality TV large enough for your space can make all the difference. Shop our selection of LED TVs and OLED TVs at Howard's Appliance today.
Want to Upgrade Your Appliances Before Thanksgiving?
Are you ready to upgrade your appliances before Thanksgiving and make the holidays easier? Shop at Howard's Appliance in Southern California. We have a wide selection of refrigerators, ovens, cooktops, dishwashers, microwaves, and televisions to meet your needs.
With 15 appliance store locations conveniently located throughout the greater Los Angeles area, we're nearby and ready to help you. Stop into a Howard's Appliance store in Tustin, West Hollywood, La Habra, Corona, Victorville, Huntington Beach, or the surrounding area today.