How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Latte at Home
October 14, 2022
It is pumpkin spice season. We have waited all year for it and now we are ready to enjoy those seasonal coffees and treats.
If you enjoy a seasonal pumpkin spice latte, we have the perfect recipe and tips below for you to make a pumpkin spice latte at home that tastes better than the coffee shop and will save you time and money.
What You will Need
The base of any latte is espresso and milk. From there, you can liven up any latte by adding spices, sweeteners, and other ingredients to make it your own.
But what do you need for a pumpkin spice latte? Here is what we suggest.
As the base of your latte, you will need to brew espresso or strong coffee. If you have an espresso machine at home, you’ll start by preparing your espresso. If you do not have an espresso machine, you can substitute this for four ounces of strong coffee.
If you are ready to invest in a quality espresso machine to save yourself trips to the coffee shop and make high-quality drinks at home, we have a few recommendations. Here are three of our favorite espresso machines and coffee makers.
- Cafe™ AFFETTO Automatic Espresso Machine and Frother - This sleek, high-end espresso machine has a quick one-touch brew setting, Wi-Fi compatibility to allow you to fully customize your drinks, and a built-in coffee grinder.
- Miele CM 6160 MilkPerfection - This countertop coffee machine brews over ten types of specialty coffees including espresso. This machine also includes a milk frother.
- Miele CVA 7845 - This built-in coffee maker has several settings and allows you to brew espresso and froth milk with ease. It also features a two-cup brew setting, a built-in coffee grinder, and personalized user profiles that remember your preferred settings.
You will need milk. Whether you choose to use dairy milk, oat milk, or nut milk, you can customize your latte easily at home without paying to make upgrades.
For this recipe, you will want steamed milk. Whether you steam your milk with an espresso machine or on the stovetop, this step is vital.
The most essential part of a pumpkin spice latte is the pumpkin itself. We suggest using real pumpkin puree. You can either make this yourself or buy canned pumpkin to use.
Pumpkin is a nutrient-dense food that is high in beta carotene and antioxidants (MedicalNewsToy.com). Although this recipe uses a small amount of pumpkin, you will still get the added nutrients and minerals that pumpkin has to offer.
If you want a little extra boost of flavor in your latte, you will want to add either pumpkin pie spice mix or cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and/or cloves.
If you like your lattes sweet, you can choose to add a sweetener. Other than the obvious option of sugar, some of our favorites include brown sugar, vanilla, honey, maple syrup, and caramel syrup.
Howard’s Signature Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
Follow these step-by-step instructions to make our favorite pumpkin spice latte. Feel free to swap out ingredients or adjust measurements to your own taste.
- 2 shots of espresso
- Or substitute 4 oz of strong coffee
- 4 oz of milk
- 1 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp of pumpkin pie spice
- Brew your coffee or espresso.
- Add pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice to your espresso and stir.
- Steam milk using your espresso machine’s built-in steamer.
Top espresso mixture with steamed milk.
- If you do not have an espresso machine or built-in steamer, heat the milk on the stovetop stirring continuously until it is bubbly but not boiling.
Shop for All Home Appliances at Howard’s
Whether you’re looking to purchase a new espresso machine or you need to make a larger home appliance purchase, you can trust the experts at Howard’s to help you every step of the way. From sharing our favorite recipes to giving you recommendations on appliance features we know you will love; we are here for you.
We have 16 locations all over the California area including Alhambra-South Pasadena, Corona, Covina, Glendale, Huntington Beach Experience Center, Irvine, La Habra Experience Center, Laguna Hills Experience Center, Long Beach Experience Center, Outlet Store- Pico Rivera, Riverside, Torrance Experience Center, Victorville, West Los Angeles Experience Center, and West Valley-Canoga Park.